Monday, June 7, 2010

Longwood in Natchez MS




Saturday I drove to Natchez and found it to be a very quaint town. I stopped at a Trading Post and was given ideas of what to visit and where to eat. One of the places I was told to visit was the Longwood home. It is the largest octagonal house in America. Construction was started in 1860 before the Civil War. Unfortunately it started before the home could be completed. It was to be 6 stories but only 1 was completed and the family lived there and never finished it.

I then went to the Grand Village of the Natchez Indians. It had 2 mounds and 1 replica of their homes. The grounds were beautiful and I enjoyed the walk around the grounds. There were tons of birds and I thought I would get my binoculars and sit and watch them for a while. Well I got them and naturally they were quiet and not flying around when I got back to the bench.

I wake up to birds singing and I love it. There are tons of song birds in the area.

No comments:

Post a Comment