Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Trip to Alpine Texas


I left Sweetwater early yesterday morning. The trip was uneventful, for a while. I saw a sign for Stanton, Tx that read: "Home of 3,000 friendly people and several old sore heads". I love this country! Then I drove thru Midland, Tx, home of President and Laura Bush. It is much larger than I thought.

I should have filled by gas tank before I left there as there is not another town for about 200 miles. Needless to say I ran out of fuel 19 miles from my destination. I called OnStar and since I had 1 gallon left they could not help me, I had to be completely out of gas. I stopped at a spot that looked safe to me. I was on a 2 lane highway and found a spot that had 4 lanes and I pulled over as far as I could. I then got ahold of a towing company and "they don't deliver fuel". By that time I was totally frustrated. I called the RV Park and they called the Highway Patrol and a very nice patrolman brought me 5 gallons of fuel. This took about 1 1/2 hours. I then limped into town and put $45 in so I could get to the park. It was a very hot frustrating afternnon.
Normally I get 300 miles to a tank when I have the trailer attached. This time I got 257. I went from 10-11 mpg to 8.3!!!! I have an appt tomorrow to have it checked out. This is NOT ok.

Even in the state I was in the area is beautiful. You come over a hill and there is a beautiful green valley. The rv park is very nice, the spaces are level and large enough to park your truck without sticking out in the driveway.

Today I'm going into town and checking it out. I just don't feel like driving for a long time today.

No comments:

Post a Comment